Monday, November 12, 2007

Quick! Hide the women and children! The Golden Compass is coming soon!!!


You have probably heard by now (you haven't? You aren't steeped in Christian culture like me? You need to get with the program) about the movie, The Golden Compass and all the hype it is receiving or going to receive as it's release draws nearer. Just a quick recap:

The author of this book (that is being turned into a film staring Nicole Kidman and others) is a committed atheist and hated C.S. Lewis' Narnia series as it pointed to the gospel and wanted to give kids a "better" alternative of atheism. Read more about the hype here.

He is out to get your kids! Quick, lock them up! We need to boycott this movie with huge signs and raging, fist pounding chants! If we are not careful, pretty soon they'll be voting for Hillary Clinton and reading Harry Potter books!!

Blah, Blah, Blah...

Everyone just needs to calm down and unbunch the undies. I know we can be a bit defensive about someone attacking our beloved C.S. and his timeless work for children, but to quote Job Bluth, "Come ON!!!!!"

I get the impression that Satan's strategy is rarely a full-frontal attack such as this. He is a twister ("Did God really say?") not a debater. He lives in the shadows and I believe subtlety is usually his method.

Am I worried about this new book infiltrating the brains of my three little ones?

Not really.

Here is what I am more concerned with:

1. I am more concerned with the subtle, soul crushing attacks of materialism in our culture that leads my kids at the ages of 5 and 3 to already tell me almost daily what possessions they want to acquire.

2. I am more concerned with the ease and comfort that we live in that may anesthetize them to a need for the gospel.

3. I am more concerned with the reality that they are daily exposed to a Dad that loves them desperately yet regularly falls short of perfection. I pray they will learn to look to Jesus when I fail them.

They might see this movie once and forget it but these are the things my kids are exposed to daily! This movie will come and go just like The DaVinci Code and The Last Temptation of Christ did but the cultural air they breathe is not going away anytime soon. I would be more concerned about this than The Golden Compass. Don't get too worked up about this one people. We have bigger fish to fry spiritually speaking.

Writing for Christianity Today, Mark Moring has a good take on this film as well.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Am I allowed to agree and disagree?

First to disagree strongly with your ridiculing tone against those who see this movie as a problem.

I agree that other issues in society can be bigger problems. Rampant materialism and the sexualization of society are certainly things that have daily influence. But what creates such a culture? What creates those influences? Is it not built piece by piece? What are the pieces that create the changes? Music. Movies. TV shows. Etc, etc.

Movies like this are not instantly destructive to Christianity but they continue to chip away at whatever influence Christianity has left. Some forces attack Christianity with a tack hammer. Some use a sledgehammer. This is more of the sledgehammer approach and so it warrants a strong response.

Vitamin Z said...

Chris,

Not trying to be ridiculing, but I think i am just reacting against the alarmist tendency that I see in some Christian circles embodied in the mail I get from Christian political groups that basically tells me that Hillary Clinton wants to eat my children. I am certainly not voting for Hillary, but come on. Sarcasm might not be the best approach, but that's another topic...

I'm not sure that the "sledgehammer in return" approach is something that I can agree with. Doesn't seem to sit really well with me, but that being said you didn't really qualify it that much so I won't assume to much there about what you do or do not mean.

I do see this as a problem but not enough to form a picket line. Like I said we have bigger fish to fry.

Vitamin Z said...

I do see this movie as problem...is what I meant to say

Vitamin Z said...

"as a problem!!!!" Typing too fast!

Anonymous said...

Well, I've read the series and frankly look forward to the coming film. Does the series contain some possibly objectionable ideas? Yes, and some of those I object to. However, we must remember that this is a work of fiction. As such, it is not meant to be taken as documented reality. Yes, the author is a self-proclaimed atheist but I talk to atheists all day long. This doesn't discourage my personal faith nor does it stop me from enjoying their company. Sure, kids will want to see this movie, and children are impressionable. You know who leaves a big impression on kids? Their parents! Talk to your kids about what they say. Tell them your views and let them think critically about what they have heard. A decision made on their own about their faith will be one that lasts. Creating a huge taboo around this film will surely increase its popularity, so relax. If you don't want to see it, great! Go to the park. Picket signs should be saved for anti-war protests, in my humble opinion.

lmarcia said...

Thank you for writing this!