Sunday, December 27, 2009

UFC vs NFL - Which Is More Violent?

Before I moved to Albuquerque, I had never seen a UFC match (if you don’t know what UFC is, click here).  I thought people who watched that stuff were knuckle dragging neanderthals.  The first weekend after we moved to Albuquerque, Kim and I were invited to go to some friends house to watch it.  I was hooked and have been a fan ever since.  Now that I actually know what mixed martial arts are all about I can see that it is certainly a real sport and that these athletes should be respected just as much as all the top athletes in other sports. The strategy that is involved is quite complex and the variables in play make almost any match potentially interesting. 




Most people are understandably put off by the violence of it.  But today, as I sit and watch the NFL, (the most watched sport in the US) I can’t escape a comparison between the two sports.  Which is more violent?  I have to say, without hesitation, that the NFL is way more violent that the UFC.  Consider the empirical evidence. 



I have never seen this, this, or, this happen in a UFC match.  Nothing even close.  I have never seen someone carted off on a stretcher with a broken neck in the UFC.  Without question, both sports are very violent, but I would submit that the violence is far more controlled in the UFC.  Before a guy gets his let snapped in half he is going to submit through what is called a "tap out".  He will simply tap his hand on the mat or his opponent and the ref will call the match.  In the NFL, when you have these huge, athletic monsters running full speed at each other, it's basically a car crash everytime.  Legs and ankle break all the time.  Try as they might, the NFL is way less controlled.  The dangerous physics of the NFL don't comprare to those of the UFC. 

So if you think that UFC should be avoided due to the violence then you might also want to consider the far greater violence of the NFL. 

What do you think?

12 comments:

the Underdog said...

I will agree with you that the NFL has more violent collisions than UFC. But I would also submit that the goal of UFC participants is almost singularly violent. Is there any other objective in UFC other than to inflict maximum damage on your opponent? I get the NFL because I grew up as a fan. Help me understand why I should give UFC a shot...

Vitamin Z said...

I just love the collision of styles. One guys is a boxer another is a wrestler. Who is going to win out? The guys at the top are masters of all style. This takes unreal work and skill. I have huge respect for them. The amount of cardio is takes to maintain that pace for three five minutes rounds is unreal.

Anonymous said...

UFC-Ultra Lamo

-byrd

Anonymous said...

Don't even give me crap for NASCAR dude, Mr. I'm an upstanding music minister and believer in Christ who enjoys watching dudes purposefully beat the tar out of another. What a waste-byrd

Jason Kanz said...

I wonder if the singular goal of most observers for all of these events (NFL, UFC, NASCAR) is the hope of observing violence. In this way, I wonder how we are different from the Romans who packed the coliseum to watch gladiators rip apart Christians. I believe it is part of our depraved, sinful nature to love violence (I say this as a former college football player).

In either case, too often these events demand much more enthusiasm and passion than our church services ever do. Perhaps if church leadership started engaging in MMA, we would draw in greater numbers.

Vitamin Z said...

Ian,

Your NASCAR fetish is deplorable. Any self-respecting musician knows this is a fact. Deal.

z

Anonymous said...

I like Jason Kanz's last paragraph, Stop watching dudes beat each other on your laptop and lets get you and me in the ring on stage just after Ryan does the welcome and greet. -Byrd

Vitamin Z said...

Byrd-Man,

You wouldn't stand a chance.

z

Anonymous said...

p-90 lamex

Joe Selness said...

So it's kickboxing, not MMA, but I think my point stands. (Warning - This is just as brutal as the other videos)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=888JHYfoHfA

M&M in Japan said...

I don't think I agree with your thesis... I don't think football is inherently violent, though it can lead to brutal injuries. (Note how old your videos are. They don't happen very often.) When I was playing the people who were in a rage usually didn't play well. I would agree with you though... Football is a rough sport. I wouldn't put it in the same league with sports where people are intentionally trying to hurt each other though.

Also, just as an aside, but you may want to back off from your Neanderthal analogy. This can lead people to thinking that there really were some half-ape humans some time in the past. The reality is that Neanderthals have been proven to be 100% human in DNA who happened to look a little different than others. (Ie. pygmies or Shaq.) They were in fact a very intelligent people. (As demonstrated by their artwork, tools and burial customs.) I suggest that Christians stop this common cultural fallacy.

Scott Sterner said...

Z, your logic is completely wack. When your wrapped in 30 pounds of pads it makes a huge difference. If you want to compare apples to apples you'd be closer with boxing. I'd be more into UFC if they'd come out fighting in those inflatable sumo suits. Now that would be something worth watching.