Monday, March 10, 2014

Piper On The Importance of Sleep

Thinking we can outsmart or outwork how God made us never ends well for the creatures.  It's just a subtle desire to be God and of course that never ends well either.
” … I am emotionally less resilient when I lose sleep. There were early days when I could work without regard to sleep and feel energized and motivated. In more recent years my threshold for despondency is lower on less sleep. For me, adequate sleep is not just a matter of staying healthy. It’s a matter of staying in the ministry – I’m tempted to say it’s a matter of persevering as a Christian. I know it is irrational that my future should look so bleak when I get only four or five hours of sleep several nights in a row. But rational or irrational, that is a fact. And I must live within the limits of fact. Therefore we must watch the changes in our bodies.”

John Piper, When I Don’t Desire God, 205

No comments: