Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Indelible Grace V - Wake Thy Slumbering Children

Recently I acquired the new Indelible Grace V CD, entitled, Wake Thy Slumbering Children. I like it a lot.

The first thing that I like is that it has a honest and raw vibe to it that is sadly very hard to find in most Christian music. It doesn’t sound slick, and that is a good thing. I also think that on the whole the new melodies on this recording are better. It also has a very consistent tone and feel to it throughout which is hard to come by when you are using so many different artists. There are 14 songs on this new CD and I’ll highlight my favorites.

By far my favorite song on this recording is Matthew Perryman Jones’, Abide With Me. Check out this text. I can’t wait to sing it in church:

Abide with me; fast falls the eventide;
The darkness deepens; Lord with me abide.
When other helpers fail and comforts flee,
Help of the helpless, O abide with me.

Thou on my head in early youth didst smile;
And, though rebellious and perverse meanwhile,
Thou hast not left me, oft as I left Thee,
On to the close, O Lord, abide with me.

I need Thy presence every passing hour.
What but Thy grace can foil the tempter’s power?
Who, like Thyself, my guide and stay can be?
Through cloud and sunshine, Lord, abide with me.

I fear no foe, with Thee at hand to bless;
Ills have no weight, and tears no bitterness.
Where is death’s sting? Where, grave, thy victory?
I triumph still, if Thou abide with me.

Hold Thou Thy cross before my closing eyes;
Shine through the gloom and point me to the skies.
Heaven’s morning breaks, and earth’s vain shadows flee;
In life, in death, O Lord, abide with me.


The arrangement is very sparse and simple, yet achingly beautiful. I can’t get enough of this song right now. The melody is simple and easy to follow, but again, perfectly crafted to fit this text. If anything, get this song and let it minister to your soul.

I also greatly enjoy Emily DeLoach’s rendition of, In The Hours. It’s a bluesy, rock number with a gospel flair. It has a deep groove and Emily’s voice really fits it well. It’s really a fun tune with a great arrangement and a good musical jam at the end.

The opening cut, Cling to the Crucified, has really grown on me. It’s also very sparse and a bit brooding, but very interesting. Jeremy Casella’s vocal is smooth and soothing, yet very interesting. I like his voice a lot. It’s a melancholy arrangement, but I really like it for that reason.

Matthew Smith’s, All Must Be Well, is also a highlight for me on this record. It has a hopeful tone that is appropriate as good melodies usually reflect the text of the song. This melody seems easy to sing and could be used well in corporate singing for the church. Full of slide guitars, yet doesn’t have a cheesy country feel. Matthew’s, Arise, O God and Shine, is also a great track.

I would recommend this CD. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed and we should do our part to support good art that is being made by Christians. As far as I know most of these artists on this record are independent and are not limited by the tiny box of creativity that is the majority of music produced by big Christian labels.

You can find it exclusively at this site.

No comments: