Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Cell Phone Challenge

Bob at the Swerve blog writes:
When we visited Hillsong in Australia several months ago, my good friend Darren Kitto was telling me a personal story and in that conversation mentioned that his mobile phone address book is full of people who don’t know Christ. He wasn’t saying this as a challenge to me, but it was. You see, I’ve been engaged long enough in my role as a pastor and have developed so many relationships with our staff and other pastors/church leaders that my address book is mostly full of people who are believers. I know lots of people who don’t know Christ, but sadly I’m not engaged deeply enough to have many of them on speed dial or even in my phone at all. My mobile phone address book is at least one gauge of the importance I place on a relationship.

Practically, having someones contact info in my phone makes it much, much easier and consequently much more likely that I would call or sms whenever I think about them.

So if you are like me and could use a little intentionality in this area…here’s my very simple challenge: This week add the names/numbers of two or three people who don’t know Christ to your phone and give them a call/text as you think about them.

When I look at my contacts list and Facebook friends, I definitely see a Christian majority. But I wonder, does that matter? Is that really a good judge of how well I’m reaching out to non-Christian friends?

What do you think? What does your cell phone roster look like?


(HT: ThinkChristian.net)

2 comments:

CPCC Pastor said...

Hey Z - (Ron Giese's old friend here); this is a great practical idea. Thanks for putting it out there. And thanks for so often mentioning your/our battle with complaining -- the Lord is using your works to prick me in this area, and He is giving me much help! Yours by divine mercy, dave bissett, upstate NY

Anonymous said...

opps old blog ID there; currently am over at Wordpress....