Thursday, September 03, 2009

Gauge Your Fitness Level Using the Marine Corps Test


Lifehacker:

The Marine Corps Fitness test is comprised of three parts: pull-ups, crunches, and a three-mile run. All three tests must be performed in one continuous session, and you only have up to two hours to complete as much as you can.

Each exercise has specific instructions, so concerning the crunches, for example, if your derriere isn't in constant contact with the ground and both your arms don't remain in constant contact with your rib cage throughout, that crunch doesn't count.

Hit up the below link to see the minimum fitness requirements for your age group. As a potential benchmark, the highest score involves performing 20 pull-ups, 100 crunches in two minutes, and running three miles in 18 minutes.

Take the Marine Corps Fitness Test

If you really want to get in shape, do P90x. I am 4 weeks into it and loving it. It's hard, but paying big returns.




Some other posts of potential interest:

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

smlmmmmmpghghghghgh....!

Anonymous said...

p-90 lamex

Jerry said...

I'm surprised, but that Marine fitness test looks easier than the US Army Physical Fitness test that I had to pass in the early 1980's.

The real killer for me was push-ups. I had to work very hard to perform to standard for those, eve though pull-ups were easy. The run times seem comparable, and the crunches appear about the same as the sit ups that we had to do.

Eric J. Hansen (Spot) said...

interesting that push-ups aren't on the list.
Z, what is your score? reveal it!

Vitamin Z said...

Erik,

I didn't do it, but I could guess. I'll give a full report on my stats when I finish P90x.

z

Tommy S. Barnes said...

How do you handle the yoga? I am currently doing P90 (I am fat & out of shape bigtime.) to build up to P90x. I was thinking of just skipping those days or just do some traditional streatching. What are your thoughts?

Vitamin Z said...

Do the yoga for sure. It's an amazing workout.

z

Eric S. said...

Z -

Did you ever post a review of p90x?

Recommended?

What do you need to purchase outside the kit?

Vitamin Z said...

Highly recommended. But be warned it's really hard to sustain for 90 days.