Monday, December 07, 2009

What Was Special About Mary?

Awkward parenting moment of the day:

My seven year old son is doing a survey for school about Christmas. One of the questions was, "What was special about Mary?". I paused and thought hard for a second. Didn't really come up with much. It was early. My wife Kim overheard us and quickly said, "She was a virgin!" Immediately Taylor said, "What's a virgin?". Uh...

We are not ready to have that talk. I just glared at Kim. Luckily kids have a very short attention span.

4 comments:

barak said...

i bet you could have used a drink after that one.

=)

Doug said...

Funny ... kind of the same thing happened to us as I was reading along in the book of Luke to my kids last week. My oldest, also 7, asked, "What's a virgin?" We've talked a little bit about the topic of sex already (mostly Jaime with the girls), but I just sidestepped it and said, "Mary wasn't married yet so it was pretty shocking when God told her she was going to have a baby and it would be God's son!" That seemed to suffice and get us back on track! :)

Michelle said...

I'm not ready for that conversation either!

M&M in Japan said...

I'm sure us parents and teachers of young kids have been dodging that one for centuries! It came up with me too this year at school. Doug, we must be twins or something - that was my answer too!