Thursday, June 03, 2010

How to Recover a Sense of Discipline

Guest post by Michael Kelley:

Since the birth of Christian, aka, kid number 3, the spiritual discipline of my life has been sporadic at best. I can easily justify it with midnight feedings, early wake-up calls, and 3 kids under 6 (or at least my wife could, though she’s managing her life much better than I right now). But I have found myself longing for a sense of discipline.

Not longing for some kind of a rules-based relationship with God so I can have a measuring stick for whether I’m doing a good job at being a Christian, but discipline. Discipline that honors God and lives in the middle of grace. Discipline that focuses my mind and heart. That’s what I want. So that’s what I’m going after, by God’s grace. Here are some steps to doing so I’m trying to implement in my life:

1. Whatever you do, do it in faith.

2. Accompany spiritual discipline with physical exercise.

3. Set yourself up for success.

4. Be consistent.

5. Be realistic.

Read the rest of the article here for the expansion of the points above.

No comments: