Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Calvinists often make the worse Calvinists

C. Michael Patton with a good post on Calvinists. (I hardly ever use that word anymore since it is loaded with such negative baggage.)

He writes:

Unfortunately, in some Calvinists’ zeal to proclaim the sovereignty of God, they present a very unbalanced portrayal of Calvinism. They often fail to give proper credence to the love of God and the responsibility of man. Now, to be fair, I don’t know of many respected Calvinist scholars who do so, but I have found this tendency continually among the laity and lay teachers. Progressing mightily in the triumph of the glory of God, they often make God so sovereign that He must, by virtue of their definition of sovereignty, be the author of sin. Now, I do recognize that Zwingli and Beza, who are part of magisterial Calvinism, did go this direction, but this certainly not a necessary belief of Calvinists. In fact, some Calvinists, such as myself, would say that making God responsible for sin is such a way does not dignify His sovereignty, but, frankly, boarders on blasphemy.

Further, there are many Calvinists of the “hyper” version who will deny the title Calvinism to any who don’t believe as they do on the non-essential elements of Calvinism. These non-essential elements of Calvinism include double predestination (retrobutionism), an affirmation of meticulous sovereignty, the absolute and unqualified denial of man’s free will and responsibility, a belief that God hates the non-elect, a demand to see the atonement as limited in the way that they believe it to be limited, and a firm adherence to supralapsarianism. Their circle becomes so thin that it is no wonder that pride abounds. They become the elect within the elect!

I remember a Calvinist who owned a local bookstore where I used to study. Every time I entered the door, he would start arguing. His primary argument was that I was not really a Calvinist because I believed that God, in spite of His unconditional election, still loved the non-elect. This was the discussion every time. I came to the point where I thought that he was not going to welcome me in the doors any longer because I did not agree that God hated the non-elect. The last words I remember saying to him were “What does God want us to do with our enemies?” He said, “Love them.” I said, “Do you think God would expect us to do something that He Himself cannot do?” He did not respond.

I am a Calvinist. I am a five point Calvinist. I don’t mind being labeled as such. But sadly, I have to greatly qualify what I mean by this so that people don’t label me according to the massive misrepresentation of Calvinism by some Calvinists.

Even Phil Johnson, a fellow Calvinist recognizes the danger of misrepresentation when he writes:

“History teaches us that hyper-Calvinism is as much a threat to true Calvinism as Arminianism is. Virtually every revival of true Calvinism since the Puritan era has been hijacked, crippled, or ultimately killed by hyper-Calvinist influences.” (http://www.spurgeon.org/~phil/articles/hypercal.htm - a very good read)

In short, it is sad to say, but I would rather go to a party with a humble Arminian than some passionate Calvinists. Calvinists often make the worse Calvinists.

Read the whole thing. There are some great warnings to consider.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What Michael writes about some Calvinists (I dislike the word too) and about *all* hyper-Calvinists (it's a flat-out heresy) is true. We must be Biblically balanced in our proclamations of God's complete sovereignty, our genuine responsibility, God's electing love for repentant sinners, and His love, in some sense, and yet still anger, with the unrepentant wicked. *All* of these things are true regarding God and how He relates to people. Calvinists must proclaim *all* of them and do it in a spirit of Biblical humility (God must increase, we must decrease) and love.

Unknown said...

It's a good article, and he points out some real concerns. The concerns about 'hyper-calvinism' very real and all too true.

His stated concerns, however, are with ignorant extremists, and these are not unique to Calvinism. He's created a bit of a 'straw man' for his argument much like he's criticizing others for doing. People will always misuse any theological framework --- and even scripture itself --- but that does not invalidate the underlying theology.

Part of the problem is that he provides no biblical rebuttal for why he thinks those who follow a Calvinistic theology (I'll avoid calling them Calvinists) are wrong on concepts such as "God hates the non-elect." His response to the shopkeeper is the type that sounds deep but provides no real insight while missing the point altogether. Clever, but not substantive.

It's possible he's right, but then demonstrate in scripture where love for the 'un-elect' motivates what God does (as opposed to his mercy, patience, jealousy for his glory, or desire to fulfill his gracious plan for the elect). Does he leave the weeds in the field because he loves the weeds, or because he has a plan for the wheat (Matt. 13:24--30)? Does he command us to love our enemies because he loves them, or because judgment is his job (Rom. 12:14--21)?

I don't mind that he criticizes Calvinism or asks the questions. I think, though, that I could add to Carson's Five Points a tendency to pose theological objections, citing no specific biblical objections beyond, "Because I don't think so," and providing no biblical solution beyond a smart-sounding dismissal, and having it counted as meaningful discussion.

Press on!
Jude 1:3

Unknown said...

btw --- I actually like Michael Patton. I just didn't like the post --- probably because I expect more of him. ;^)