Friday, November 04, 2011

Running After The Heavenly Euphoria

This past weekend I ran a 5k.

Running a 5k is an exercise in torture.  At least it is for me.  You run as fast as you possibly can endure for 3.1 miles and then you collapse.  There is very little "pacing yourself".  It's really over before it starts.  These are relatively short races.

This past weekend I ran better than I ever have.  I did a 16 week training program and it really paid off.  To be honest, I was quite shocked at how well it paid off.  This led to a certain level of satisfaction in my heart.  It's fun to work hard to achieve a goal and then achieve it.

But there was a level of euphoria that I think transcends this.  It's the deep seated feeling of having run the race, battled the flesh, and endured.  You come out the other side the victor.  You didn't give up (and those thoughts were certainly present).  The finish line was crossed and the inner voices that tempted failure were squelched.

The joy, the high, the euphoria (whatever work you want to use) is unique in these extreme situations of physical effort.

I have a few friends who participate in mixed martial arts.  They have told me that this feeling is VERY intense after you have an MMA competition.  You get in a cage with one other dude who sole job is to force you to submit or knock you out cold.  Physically speaking, those are high stakes.  If you endure those three rounds, the sense of accomplishment and delight is off the chart.  Win or lose, you stared fear in the face and endured.

Recently my buddy Travis Else ran the IronMan here in Madison.  Many of you saw the interview that I did with him for this blog.  As we watched him enter into the final 100 meters of his 11 hour experience of crucifying the flesh, I was surprised at how emotional it was.  For him, for his family, and even me.  There is a sense of joy, relief, and satisfaction knowing that the race has been run, it's over, and victory was achieved.  He longed for it for 11 hours and it finally arrived.

I wonder if this is a minute glimpse into the euphoria that we'll feel in heaven.  We long for that resolution for a lifetime and then it arrives.

Life is a battle.  No question.  There are days that I want it to be all over.  I yearn for God to roll up this world like a scroll and start over.  There are voices that scream at us to give up, give in, and sign out.  There are tears and battles that flare up no matter our stage in the race.

And we get so tired.  I am tired.  We are sweaty and smelly.  The sun is beating down on us.  Our legs want to give out and our lungs are burning.  We wonder if anyone would find us if we collapsed out here.  Would anyone even care?

But there is a finish line in view.  And it's not that far off.  It's just around the corner.  If you squint you might be able to see it off in the distance.  And one day we'll arrive there and the race will have been run.  We'll emerge the victor because of God's grace in our lives. But make no mistake, the flesh got crucified and it was not easy, fun, or simple.  And it required real effort.  But there is a coming a day when the exhaustion of the race will be terminated and the rest will be finally and totally achieved.  The tension will be resolved and the beauty of Christ will consume us.  I imagine the euphoria to be constant and ever increasing.

So get off the couch and get some exercise.  Push yourself to the limit.  You might get to participate in an extremely small version of heavenly realities.  And even that tiny taste is quite delicious.

5 comments:

Ryan Phelps said...

Yes, great description.

What was the program you used?

Vitamin Z said...

It's an iPhone app called SmartCoach

RunKeeper is also GREAT.

MandieCurtis said...

I use runkeeper. Works great. What was your time?

Vitamin Z said...

19:04

Scott Sterner said...

Do you have any recommendations for the Droid?