Monday, October 02, 2006

CJ's Highlights are Mine

I'll let CJ Mahaney's comments from the weekend at the Desiring God National Conference speak for me since his sentiments are very similar to my own feelings about what I remember most. On the T4G blog he says:
As you would expect, the conference was a feast of outstanding preaching; but I want to highlight a few moments that stood out to me. Particularly moving were Don Carson and John Piper’s comments to and care for the pastors of smaller churches during one of the panel sessions. There were two panel sessions that were both effectively led by Justin Taylor. In response to a question from Justin, Don and John wisely seized the opportunity to encourage pastors of smaller churches and those who labor faithfully but seem to see little fruit. Don’s tears as he described his father’s faithful pastoral ministry for decades in a rural setting were deeply moving. You could feel the deep effect of his words and his tears upon the souls of all pastors present, but especially those who are faithfully and heroically serving in obscurity. More importantly, you could feel the pleasure of God.

And one other moment that stood out was John Piper’s opening remarks before his message at the final session. John addressed those present who are a part of the emerging church movement and communicated his fatherly concern for them. Since it is clear (and was made clear throughout the conference) that serious doctrinal deficiencies exist in the emerging church, John wanted to communicate his care for those present with whom we disagree. John didn’t want the conference to simply be a series of critiques. Instead, he wanted to persuade and provide the doctrinal discernment that appears to be absent from this movement. And he wanted them to know how much he loved them—even with all his concerns. Again, I felt the pleasure of God.

Then, before he began his message, John made one more comment regarding observations he had previously shared about Mark Driscoll. Earlier in the conference, at the end of a panel session, John had informed us that he had received much criticism for inviting Mark Driscoll to speak at the conference. He explained why he invited Mark and what he appreciated about Mark’s message. He went on to express a concern he had regarding the content of Mark’s message. Though I would have expressed this concern to Mark privately and personally before expressing it publically, I have no doubt that his motive was to serve Mark and those present at the conference. John's critique and concern was related to Mark’s clever comments about culture throughout his message. After the panel session, someone had approached John and observed that John had a tendency to be similarly clever in his comments about the academic world. So before he preached the final session, John acknowledged the accuracy of this observation and correction and its application to his preaching. It was humble for John to inform us of this private conversation and its corrective content. I believe that long after the messages of this conference are forgotten, John’s compelling example of humility will not be forgotten. It will continue to inspire us all to true greatness—to walk humbly before God and with those we have the privilege to serve. Once again, I felt God’s pleasure.

6 comments:

Scott Sterner said...

I dunno Zach. I think the reminder about contextualization and telling the meta-narrative in order to reach todays lost was pretty powerful. Why no mention of Tim Keller and Mark Dricoll? Those guys did a great job teaching on some of the specifics regarding reaching postmoderns.

Los said...

Man, CJ is right on the money!! Piper's humbleness was really a great highlight of the weekend, if someone who has been in ministry 30 some years still yearns to learn, to be corrected and grow, what an example for this 26 year old brat!!!!

First Theology said...

Z- Great to meet you. Next time I'll try to have a voice so we can actually talk!

Scooter- Totally agree that TimK was a practical highlight for me (that guy is pretty sharp) & MarkD was great comic relief and a phenomenal example of a brother gifted with serious communication skills (altho I think he is sometimes imprecise in his theological articulation - IMHO... maybe I'm just jealous?).

I think (I might be wrong here) CJ actually missed the thrust of Piper's recounting of the "rebuke for his rebuke." I thought the idea (not exact words) of what he shared was that while MarkD is clever culturally, JohnP is clever academically (not in "what he says about the academic world", as CJ says, rather that he is clever at engaging with the academic world - he's a clever nerd). That makes more sense and shows that JohnP employs similar cleverness just in a different arena (i.e. - phrases he coins like Christian Hedonism... and ways he builds arguments).

I thought Piper's whole critique of cleverness in the first place was a bit of a misappropriation of 1 Cor 1:17 & 2:4 (which I'd guess Piper had in mind when he read the initial quote from ??? to gently rebuked MarkD). I've always read those verses as warnings not to use cleverness/wise-words in place of preaching the cross/gospel (and maybe a further charge to be careful not to obfuscate the gospel if you present is with cleverness of style). However, I really think it's a big stretch to say those verses are a warning not to be "clever" at all in how we present the cross/gospel. In fact, elsewhere in the same letter Paul says he does his best to be "clever" (my word not his... "all things to all people" - maybe better yet to contextualize where he can - 1 Cor. 9:19-23). Piper called this the "indigenous principle" as opposed to the "pilgrim principle" in our conference guide and stressed we need to do both (which I agree with). If Piper said Mark over contextualized that would be one thing (i.e. - gave up some essential element of orthodox faith), but he said he was "too clever" which seems an unwarranted critique to me...

Scott Sterner said...

Josh-

I think you've got some good insights here. I kind-of boiled down Piper's caution to mean, "hey Mark, your pretty slick, maybe too slick some times." I would agree. All the beating of the chest bravado (ultimate fighter references) are a bit over the top. I kept thinking to myself, even if Jesus was a hefty carpenter, I could probably still beat him up! Does that change the way I view him as God? I mean he did "humble himself" to take on flesh. Any violence he does to Satan in the end will be in the power of his diety, not because of his super human strength!

Anyway, I think most all the speakers brought some valuable things to the table. I have a feeling CJ didn't appreciate the missional/contextual thoughts Driscoll and Keller brought to the conference. I assume he is probably in the camp of people who get nervous when you consider cultural relevance in any church strategy.

First Theology said...

Scooter- I totally agree about Mark substituting machismo for being male (there is a difference) - which ultimately will weaken the complementarian position (which I hold) because it's based off an inaccurate biblical theology of male/female differentiation... I will blog about this at some point. I don't know if that was the totality of Piper's critique though - or even what he had in mind by cleverness. However if Piper meant that being flashy & slick can leave people walking away with only flashiness and slickness (all sizzle, no steak as some have said) then I'd agree - altho I think Mark tries hard to have solid content too (does the cleverness get in the way... maybe). So if the warning was, "you're smooth, be careful" I'd agree. If it was "being smooth is bad" I'd disagree. It all comes down to interpretation of what Piper meant doesn't it (just like most things) - too bad Johnny isn't here so we could ask him :)

Vitamin Z said...

Scoot,

Did you say that you could beat up Jesus? Talk like that will get you fired. Heretic.

z