Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Jazz Jam, The Gospel, and Cool People

Last night I went to the usual jazz jam session that I attend every Tuesday night at a restaurant here in Albucracky. There was a dude that wondered in and he seemed kind of awkward. I could tell that he was there for the jam. He went up to the guy who runs the jam session and I could tell wanted to chat with him a bit, but he did so awkwardly, giving the air of being uncomfortable and out of place.

Here is where my sin was exposed last night: I found myself not really caring about the awkward guy and didn't have any desire to make him feel welcome. It was exposed in my heart that I really only gravitate toward the "cool" or the talented. Why is this? Most likely it's due to my need for acceptance and validation by those around me that I view as significant. If you don't fall into my "significant" category then I couldn't care less about you. This is raw sin in it's purest form.

An amazing thing happened last night. I was introduced to this awkward guy and we struck up a conversation. He asked what I did for a living and I told him I was a music minister at a church in town. He then began to talk about spiritual things and questions he had about Christianity, etc. This provided me the opportunity to share the gospel with him and we had a good chat and I could tell that he was really thinking over what I shared with him. I gave him my card and told him to email me if he wanted to continue the conversation a bit further, or if he had more questions. This is exactly why I show up to these events! It's great to see God blessing my intentions, even when they are shot through with depravity.

I don't think "coolness" (at least as the world defines it) was on Jesus' radar when he shared the truth with people. Why is it on mine? Is it on yours?

Praying for less of me and more of Him.

1 comment:

Eric J. Hansen (Spot) said...

Z, thx for your humble confession of what most of us are guilty of as well!
Romans 12:16 "Do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly. Never be conceited."
This verse has a great pro-active sense to it: ASSOCIATE (seek out) the lowly.
word
Spot