Monday, July 30, 2007

What is Sanctification?


Recently I took a class at Covenant Theological Seminary called, Spiritual and Ministry Formation. Basically it was a week of what our teaching pastor calls "The Gospel for Christians". What is the gospel and how does it apply to spiritual growth? Who are we fundamentally at Christians? How do we grow in our faith? It was a great week of learning and interacting upon these questions.

One of the assignments that I have upon my return is to read Sinclair "Fergalicious" Ferguson's chapter in a book called Christian Spirituality - Five Views. The real topic of the book is the Christian doctrine of sanctification. It's your typical "five views" books where there are five authors writing from five different perspectives. Sinclair writes from the Reformed point of view. My seminary professor told us during the week there that this 23 page summary of sanctification is the best he has ever come across in short form. After reading it today I think I agree with him. If you want a greater understanding of what it means to be a Christian I would greatly commend this chapter to you to read and reread for the sake of your own personal growth as a Christian. I would quote from it here, but there are too many to pick from! Just buy it and read it. You won't be sorry.

No comments: