Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Jazz for the New Listener


Often times jazz gets a bad rap. I know for the average music lover that goes into a coffee shop and hears jazz playing through the sound system, it just sounds like noise that is somewhat unintelligible. Like any language, spoken or musical, you have to spend time listening to comprehend patterns, themes, and the basic tenets of the structure. If you are a music lover but can't quite "hear" the jazz language yet, here is a record that I just got that would be a great place to start.

Hank Mobley's "Soul Station" featuring Wynton Kelly on piano, Paul Chambers on bass and the recently deceased, Art Blakey on drums, is a jazz masterpiece but every song on this record is easy to hear and extremely "swingin'".

You can find this record by clicking on it in my new iTunes widget to the right that shows my recent purchases from iTunes.

3 comments:

Wes said...

I see that you, too, raided the Blue Note sale on iTunes. I studied jazz at the University of North Texas in the 90s, and it's amazing to me to think back to how difficult it was to find great jazz records even such a short time ago, and how easy (and cheap) it is to get them now.

I enjoy the blog. Cheers.

FellowElder said...

Okay. You just became one of my favorite bloggers. Any man recommending good, straight-ahead jazz on his blogs is a friend of mine!

Thabiti

Anonymous said...

Great album. Too bad it is so short.

Jazz is sort of an enigma to me -- I enjoy alot of it, but there is so much to choose from!