Tuesday, November 20, 2007

If Only Michael Jordan Was A Christian...


Why is it that we constantly parade Christian athletes, media personalities, and pop singers? Why should we think that their opinions or their experiences of grace are of any more significance than those of any other believer? When we tell outsiders about people in our church, do we instantly think of the despised and the lowly who have become Christians, or do we love to impress people with the important of the men and women who have become Christians? Modern Western evangelicalism is deeply infected with the virus of triumphalism and the resulting illness destroys humility, minimizes grace, and offers far too much homage to the money and influence and "wisdom" of our day.

- D.A. Carson, from The Cross and Christian Ministry - Leadership Lessons from 1st Corinthians, p. 29.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Zach, this book looks interesting and I think I might put it on my to read list. I like the last part of this but not having the entire context I though I'd ask you what you think he means by "triumphalism". First thing that came to my mind was something to do with the prosperity gospel or maybe "victorious Christian living"; however, a quick Google of the word and a look at dictionary.com has a different slant on it. What say you?

Vitamin Z said...

Gabe,

I think what he is getting at is the tendancy in some to look for a "top/down", power heavy, political Christianity that focuses on externals and not heart change.

I could be wrong on this one, but I think this mindset would feed the need to have "important" people become Christians so that we can leverage power.

I could be all wrong on this one...

Me said...

Gabe and Vitamin Z both bring up good points.

Granted, the person we put our hope in is saving people, they seem a quality investment. For my time and money, I'd rather be working than putting my head in pop culture the way the majority of first-world denizens do. The cash-laden stars of this era and all the resources and money we consume will all dissipate as the renewable resource era soon comes to an end.

As common laymen, we'd best provide a small reliable, low-overhead sponsorship agency with $30 a month to provide food, shelter, clothing, medical, education, and spiritual teaching to the most poor of the world, then concern ourselves with the lavish, inefficient, targeted evangelism of western civilization by celebrities.

All the stars (and the stripes for that matter) won't matter as the Christian conservative southern countries with their superior numbers come to power over the world.

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.catholiceducation.org%2Farticles%2Ffacts%2Ffm0018.html&h=rAQFh5AOdAQHzg_HohXdHZLt7hfu1WkSSYBLtYldbTj3qDA