Tuesday, December 04, 2007

I don't want to be a sour puss


On of my critiques of Reformed Christians (typically, but not exclusively) is that we tend to be very polarizing in our thinking about certain people or groups that we disagree with. This is often seen in the critique of non-Reformed leaders in Christendom. Frequently I have observed the tendency to demonize a certain person or movement and and give the impression that they are ALL bad. This does a great disservice and is not reflective of careful thinking or charitable living. This may not be intentional, but rather a matter of emphasis. I am not urging us to blur the lines but at least give qualifications and don't be afraid to say something positive about a person we may disagree with. Don't be afraid to give a compliment!

To practice what I preach I'll give two:

1. For the most part I don't like seeker churches (i'm getting to the compliment). At least in the ones I have been exposed to, the service in many ways makes my stomach churn. But I have to give them credit for this (painting with a wide brush): They display an honest passion for evangelism that is too often lacking in my own heart and is too often under emphasized in Reformed churches. We can learn from this passion (though me may not like the methods) and celebrate their efforts to be obedient to the Great Commision.

2. Lately, I have been posting a lot about Rob Bell and his recent tour. Though I think some of what Rob says is seriously problematic, my friend Doug in his post today brings to light some things that are good about Rob Bell and his ministry. Read his post called What I Can Learn From Rob Bell.

1 comment:

Rachel Bardwell said...

All right, time for me to throw in my 2 cents regarding the Rob Bell discussion. People can say what they want about him. But his church, Mars Hill, which he personally started, is freakin' AMAZING. Kedron and I attended Mars for a year while we lived in MI (Ked actually attended for 2 counting the year before we got married). This is a church with a real, passionate heart for Jesus and redemption. Never have I seen a congregation so motivated to help a broken world. It is hands down the "best" (and I know that's a subjective word)church I have ever been a part of. I don't think anyone can truly understand Rob until you meet his church family.