Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Gone Baby Gone


On a recent recommendation, my wife and I watched the movie, Gone Baby Gone.

This is probably one of the best (and disturbing) movies I have seen in a long time. Here is the plot summary:
When 4 year old Amanda McCready disappears from her home and the police make little headway in solving the case, the girl's aunt Beatrice McCready hires two private detectives Patrick Kenzie and Angie Gennaro. The detective freely admit that they have little experience with this type of case, but the family wants them for two reasons - they're not cops and they know the tough neighborhood in which they all live. As the case progresses, Kenzie and Gennaro face drug dealers, gangs and pedophiles. When they finally solve the case, they are faced with a moral dilemma that tears them apart.
My first thought was, "How do we make sense of this movie from a Christian perspective?" I would encourage you to watch it and see what you think. This would be a great movie to watch with an unbeliever and then talk about ethics, morals and what is the meaning of justice afterward the viewing. This movie will force you to deal with extremely hard questions, but they desperately need to be thought through.

There are tons of F bombs in this movie and extremely dark subject matter, so be forewarned. This being the case, I think we have to confront these issues and think through them from the perspective of a Christian worldview if we are to have meaningful interaction with a world that actually deals with this issues.

If you have seen it, let me know what you thought of it.

1 comment:

Loren Eaton said...

I haven't seen the movie, but I did read the book. Interestingly, I thought it was the weakest of Dennis Lehane's novels. Prayers for Rain and Mystic River felt much more compelling on a narrative and thematic level.