Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Rick Warren and Mark Driscoll

Mark Driscoll reports:
...I got a call from Pastor Rick Warren last week. He called simply to see if there was anything he could do to help. His kindness was humbling and helpful. I asked him how he handled his critics and he had a great insight that in our day criticism has changed. He explained that there was a day when a critic would have to sit down and write a letter and then mail it into a newspaper. With limited space, the paper would then be able to only print a fraction of the letters they received. The printed letters were often not read and quickly became dated. However, Warren said, in our day criticism is marked by the following four factors:
  1. Instant
  2. Constant
  3. Global
  4. Permanent

Warren then went on to explain that, as Jesus experienced, the strongest criticism for any Christian leader comes from rigid religious people. When I asked him what someone should do when facing criticism, he gave the following insightful points:

  1. Turn your critics into coaches by hearing what they are saying and humbly considering if there is any truth in their criticisms to learn from.
  2. Never engage the critics on their terms because it only escalates the conflict and is not productive.
  3. Be very careful with firing off emails or leaving voicemails and responding out of anger in a way that you will later regret.
  4. Shout louder than your critics to define yourself and do not allow them to define you.
I want to publicly thank Warren for giving me some good advice and taking time out of his busy schedule to speak into my life and ministry. I also pass his wisdom along to other Christian leaders.

1 comment:

Los said...

This was such a great post yesterday by Driscoll! I often find myself on the critical side of Rick Warren, and do not give much charity, and really I do not know why. I need to be humbled like Mark, I need to love those that love my Lord, I need to be loving.

Thanks Z for the post!!!