Monday, March 31, 2008

Satan Vs. Church Leaders

Jonathan Leeman reports:
Southern Seminary professor Church Lawless imagines what he would do if he were Satan, trying to ensnare pastors and church leaders. The whole article is here, but his seven basic points are

First, I would attack those who are most gifted . . . by reminding them that they are gifted.

Second, I would encourage leaders to talk about accountability . . . but not be personally accountable to anyone.

Third, I would challenge leaders to emphasize spiritual disciplines . . . but only for others.

Fourth, I would focus the leader’s attention on tomorrow . . . rather than today.

Fifth, I would encourage ministry by e-mail . . . especially with those of the opposite gender.

Sixth, I would not hinder ministry success . . . as long as “success” results in few changed lives.

Seventh, I would stress failure . . . and then lead the church to do the same.

1 comment:

Seth Ward said...

Fifth, I would encourage ministry by e-mail . . . especially with those of the opposite gender.



Buddy, THIS is a big one. In my time working at churches, I've known a few buddies who got into some trouble here.

It is very scary how personal and intimate emailing and even texting can get with a married woman or whatever. A tried and true method of knowing if you are stepping into the danger zone is if you have had a few email correspondences without either party mentioning yours or their spouse, even though some of the activities mentioned would include the spouses.