Thursday, March 13, 2008

Shai Linne - The Atonement

I like Hip-Hop. Kanye West, Common, etc. I am not huge into it, but have always liked groove oriented music. Ever since I was a kid I have had these leanings (it makes sense since I grew up on the hard streets of Cedar Falls, IA... duh).

Christian music has never really had much of a significant presence with Hip-Hop. The Christian market just can't sustain it. Unless it sounds like Casting Crowns it's just not going to sell. Sad, but true when it comes to mainstream Christian music.

With that in mind you probably will never hear about this CD unless I tell you about or you read about it on other blogs, or grassroots forms. Shai Linne's - The Atonement (iTunes) is really good. I am no Hip-Hop connoisseur, but I know that I like it a lot. This guy has a great voice, creative rhymes, funky samples, cool beats and good production. Throw in a few John Piper and C.J. Mahaney sermon samples. What more do you need?

This is actually Reformed theology in the coolest package you could ever imagine. Ever heard a Hip-Hop song on Limited Atonement? Yeah, I didn't think so. This recording has it. It's really good.

One of the coolest songs is called, Atonement Q & A. It's basically a Reformed catechism in Hip-Hop form. My kids will listen to this and probably memorize it and not even know it. If anything, buy this song and listen to it over and over to let the truth soak into your soul.

This is great stuff. I am very impressed. I hope you check it out.

Here is more info on Shai Linne.

Here is a review by Tony Reinke.

6 comments:

The Campbells said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Campbells said...

Shai's got some enjoyable stuff...his delivery is a little flat to me...non-engaging.

Did you listen to that stephen the levite piece yet?

He's also on lamp mode and drops the reformed hip-flip-flop my wiggity!!! Plus I think his delivery and production are a little more easily digested.

I dunno. :)

The Campbells said...

"...To Die is Gain" is an incredible track about missions...check that biddy out to challenge your daily living and pump you up to minister whether on the mission field in the churches or the trenches.

(Sorry these are totally random posts...I'm tired and only half way done! ACK)

The Campbells said...

Review here:
http://www.sphereofhiphop.com/ezine/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=242&Itemid=33

Anonymous said...

I'm a HUGE fan of Lampmode Recordings's vision and music. If you haven't heard it yet, check out Shai Linne's first CD, The Solus Christus Project. It's a VERY cool marriage of hip hop, jazz, and Reformed theology. You can find it (for $10-- it's worth much more!!) on http://www.lampmode.com/ at their store under "CD's."

Also, another Lampmode artist, Timothy Brindle, released what is my favorite hip hop album ever by ANY artist, Killing Sin. It's basically the book of Romans, John Piper, and John Owen put to SERIOUSLY slammin' tracks. Sadly, it's not available, at present, on Lampmode's website, but there are two tracks from the album that you can here at the site (not the best tracks on the disc, but still pretty good). I believe that you download the whole album, for a price, on either emusic.com or ITunes. If, for some reason, that doesn't work, I can look for my physical copy of the CD and let you borrow it.

Anonymous said...

Zach, I think you will like the musical stylings of Dishon Knox, aka Born 2 Die, who raps in a similar vein.
You are hard, straight from the streets of Cedar Falls. Tremont. REPRESENT!!! Do you know what I am saying, brother?