Friday, April 04, 2008

Prayer and Parenting



Mark Altrogge with an edifying post on parenting. He writes:

Parenting is scary. You’re always wrestling with concerns like, will my children ever remember to brush their teeth on their own? (One survey found that the average age is 18). Will my children ever learn to read? Will they ever be able to do anything besides play X-box? Will my 29-year-old son ever move out of the house? (This was my Mom’s concern).

But no doubt Christian parents’ biggest concern of all is our kids’ salvation. And now that I’ve become an ancestor in flowing robes with a flowing beard and a staff, I carry this burden for my granddaughter Charis.

Though Scripture doesn’t absolutely guarantee their salvation, God gives us many strong reasons to pray and hope for our children. Spurgeon urged parents to pray Isaiah 59.21, which I’ve written in my prayer notebook at the top of the page of requests for my family:

“And as for me, this is my covenant with them,” says the Lord: “My Spirit that is upon you, and my words that I have put in your mouth, shall not depart out of your mouth, or out of the mouth of your offspring, or out of the mouth of your children’s offspring,” says the Lord, “from this time forth and forevermore.” IS 59.21
Read the rest here (it's great).

No comments: