Thursday, June 26, 2008

A Message To High School Graduates

Shaun Groves with a message for recent high school graduates. I think there is some wisdom here:

Dear Recent High School Graduate,

Don’t go to college. Not yet. Instead, travel, dance, serve, sit, write, think, work. Because it beats being “undecided.” And spending a lot of money while you’re at it.

Yes, your mom won’t like this. Fine. Tell her to e-mail me. And I’ll remind her that the stuff she remembers most from her early twenties are the things she learned about herself not the things written in textbooks or spoken by professors. Which doesn’t mean stuff in books and lectures are worthless. But they can wait. A year. Just a year.

So don’t go to college. Not yet. Take a break, take a trip, take a risk and learn about yourself, the world, and life. Get educated before deciding how you’ll be educated. Take your time.

Then, with your newfound perspective, if you think it’s right for you, rejoin the herd and read those textbooks and take notes on those lectures. Or not. Stay gone. Extend your break for a decade or two or five. It’s up to you, not mom. You should tell her I said that too. She should listen to me. I have a degree.

Your bloggy friend,
Shaun

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know that I would echo this advice. I would echo the concept, but not the timing. There is a vast array of repercussions to not going to school right away. 1. If you are in New Mexico you will loose out on your chances for the Lottery scholarship. 2. You can travel and have fun during summers. 3. You can learn a lot about who you are and what you want to do by going to school. 4. There is a good chance you might not go back to school and really it is impossible to find a job without a degree.

Anonymous said...

I'm with B-Lo on this one. Be strategic with your time in school and really strategic with your summers.... but for goodness sake, grow up and get your tail to college.

Vitamin Z said...

I don't think I would give a blanket endorsement either, but I so think there is some wisdom in asking hard questions before you go into thousands of dollars of debt. Not that you have to go into debt to go to college...

I am glad I went, but serving the kingdom of God should be our first priority. College may or may not serve that end.

z