Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Obama's Interesting Religion

Again, not that this type of comment should sway voting, but it's just interesting to point out for a man who names Christianity as his religion.

Melinda at the Stand to Reason blog writes:

In the interview for the Newsweek cover story on his faith, Senator Obama had this to say in response to a question about whether people with different religious convictions go to Heaven:

It's a precept of my Christian faith that my redemption comes through Christ. But I'm also a big believer in the Golden Rule, which I think is an essential pillar not only of my faith, but of my values and my ideals and my experience here on Earth. And I'm also a believer, as part of my faith, that I am a limited being, with limited understanding. And so I operate on the basis of, I operate knowing what I know for myself, but not presuming that I know everything, certainly not enough for me to condemn others, or to presume that their path is wrong.

Now, facts are either true or untrue - for everyone. Either Jesus is the Savior for everyone because He reconciles us with God or He isn't. It's not true for some of us, and some other fact is true for others.

This, of course, isn't an unusual sentiment these days - even among those who profess Christ, as the Senator does. But the only way a rational person can make such a statement is if they don't believe religion is objectively true with any factual basis. This kind of statement can only be made if religion is a different kind of conviction than the rest of our beliefs that we live and function by. Religion is a personal preference with no objective, rational, truthful basis. The evidence that this is how Senator Obama views religion is how he treats other things he believes in, like politics. He is running for president because he thinks he knows the solutions for America and he's comfortable saying that President Bush and Senator McCain are wrong in politics. Why else would you run for president and be interested in putting your ideas into public policy and law? So he's comfortable presuming he knows true things that he wants to persuade others of in politics, but not religion because religion is somehow not truthful or factual in the same way.

Sure, we can believe Christianity is true, yet also be humble about our beliefs. Humility and conviction about truth aren't contradictory. If Christianity is true, a fact, then it's only logical that we feel compelled to offer the most important solution to our human condition to everyone and anyone. And they're free to tell us what they think the solution is. What isn't rational is to put religion in the category of personal preference and still think that it's real.

Let me make this point, too: Disagreeing with someone's religion is not condemning them. Saying someone will go to Hell isn't condemning them. It's expressing a viewpoint. We don't have control over whether someone goes to Heaven or Hell, and it's possible we are wrong. But it's God who condemns - or forgives. Not us. This common compulsion to compare disagreement with condemnation is false

Either Jesus is the Savior for everyone, or He's the Savior for no one.

Francis Schaeffer analyzed this "second-story leap" in his pointed and short book Escape from Reason. It'll provide you an enlightening perspective on discourse about religion in our modern culture, even within the church.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The entire Newsweek article is an interesting read and well done. I don't consider myself aligned with either party, and I've never been one to get real involved in politics - mostly because I never seem to see most politicians just shoot straight and be normal authentic, down to earth people - flaws and all. However one thing I do like about Obama is that he seems to be "real." Yes, he proposes to follow the Christian faith. But if you read the article, you see, especially coming from his extreme varied spiritual background, while he's attached himself most closely to Christianity, he's very honest about the fact he's still trying to figure it all out, reconcile his life, beliefs and doubts and admits that he doesn't know it all. I think that says a lot about a guy running for President - that he's willing to admit that in humility. And he openly admits in the article "My particular set of beliefs may not be perfectly consistent with the beliefs of other Christians." So he's not unaware that many would find flaws in his beliefs. Truth be told, this is where the majority of Americans are to begin with - even ones that call themselves Christians. The article likens his faith to Lincoln's in many ways. I don't know how all of this effects his ability and quality should he be elected President. I just know I like what I see in his authenticity, humility, and ability to at least appear "open and real" anyway. A couple quotes I do like: When asked if he always carries his Bible with him when he travels, he admits that "sometimes, because my briefcase gets so packed, I forget to pack it, but I often have it with me." He acknowledges he reads it in the evenings. Now this could be disturbing to some - however I like the fact that he was just honest and gave a normal answer - not a perfect one or one that would just please Bible readers. When asked what he prays for (which he admits he does daily) he states "Forgiveness for my sins and flaws, which are many, the protection of my family, and that I'm carrying out God's will, and not in a grandiose way, but simply that there is an alignment between my actions and what he would want." Rev. Kirbyjon Caldwell, who is on Obama's prayer team, states that what impresses him most about Obama, is when he asks what he can pray for, Obama always says first "Michelle and the girls" - never himself or his campaign - always "Michelle and the girls."

Anyway - I just like it that the dude seems real, honest, and down to earth. I like it that he's openly wrestling with his faith and doubts, and not afraid to admit that. We can and certainly should pray all we can for him to continue on that journey, that there are Godly influential people around him in his life, and that he finds true faith.

Anonymous said...

"Anyway - I just like it that the dude seems real, honest, and down to earth."

- Well, that certainly convinces me. Let's make this guy leader of the free world!