Tuesday, July 22, 2008

One Reason To See "Dark Knight"

So we went to Dark Knight last night on the IMAX. I’ll spare you of all the cultural analysis and pontification. I won’t be reading into the true meaning of the plot and what it points to. Go see this movie for one reason alone: Heath Ledger.

Some have said he is a "force of nature" in The Dark Knight. I’ll define that a bit further: He is a cinematic tsunami. He completely takes over. I can’t remember that last time I was so moved by the artistic expression of an actor in a movie. When the movie was over I immediately wanted to watch it again and I credit most of that sentiment to Heath Ledger’s performance. It actually makes me sad that we won’t be able to experience his gifts as an actor any longer due to his recent death. If he doesn’t get the Oscar for best actor I’ll boycott movies for the rest of my life. (Are you tiring of my overstatements?) It really was that good. Freaky good. And The Joker was freaky. Probably one of the scariest characters ever on film but oddly one that I couldn’t get enough of. When he wasn’t in a scene I found myself wondering when we would get to see more of him.

You have probably read a lot about this movie if you have not seen it by now. When it comes to Heath’s character, it’s all true. Go see it for all the reasons that you probably have already heard of, but if you don’t believe those go see a very special artist pull off a performance that you’ll likely never forget. And sadly we know that we’ll never see one like it again.

2 comments:

Whit said...

He was totally terrifying! The Joker of the comics was never comic relief, and it was thrilling, not to mention really hard to watch this come time life. Heath was phenomenal!

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more! I saw it last night... and oddly kept wishing I could see more of the Joker. Maybe because I know I'll never see Ledger on film again... what a loss.