Thursday, August 14, 2008

Hymns Are In

In the past few days I have had a couple different people ask me about hymns. What arrangements do I like and use in church when I lead? I thought I would give a post on some of my favorites:














Before The Throne of God Above - Shane and Shane (Amazon or Shane Barnard & Shane Everett - Pages - Before the Throne) This arrangement has a great new original chorus that is great for Easter.















O For A Thousand Tongues To Sing
- David Crowder Band (AmazonMP3 or David Crowder Band - Remedy - O, For A Thousand Tongues to Sing)















We use three songs off of this project:
O Worship the King (AmazonMP3 or Passion - Hymns Ancient & Modern - O Worship the King)
Here is Love (Amazon MP3 or Passion - Hymns Ancient & Modern - Here Is Love)
Praise to the Lord The Almighty (AmazonMP3 or Passion - Hymns Ancient & Modern - Praise to the Lord, the Almighty)















Jesus I am Resting
- Matthew Smith (AmazonMP3 or Matthew Smith - All I Owe - Jesus, I Am Resting)















Our Great God - Fernando Ortega and Mac Powell (AmazonMP3 or Fernando Ortega & Mac Powell - City On a Hill - Sing Alleluia - Our Great God) Of all the songs I have learned in the last five years for use in the church, this is probably my favorite.















How Deep The Father's Love For Us - Stuart Townend (AmazonMP3 or Stuart Townend - See What a Morning - How Deep The Father's Love for Us)















I Stand Amazed (How Marvelous) - Chris Tomlin (AmazonMP3 or Chris Tomlin - Passion: Everything Glorious - I Stand Amazed (How Marvelous))















Be Thou My Vision (Open My Eyes) - Andy Melvin (AmazonMP3 or Andy Melvin - The Human Engine Waits - Be Thou My Vision (Open My Eyes)) This one has an interesting new chorus added to it that seems to work well.















Uncreated One - Chris Tomlin (AmazonMP3 or Chris Tomlin - See the Morning - Uncreated One) This one is not technically a hymn in the traditional sense, but has a hymn-like form and the lyrics are GREAT. If you have not heard this one, buy it for your music leader and ask him to consider it.

4 comments:

Loren Eaton said...

Indelible Grace also has some great material.

Peter said...

I highly recommend Red Mountain Church in addition to Indelible Grace.

Scott Sterner said...

Z, I'm sad that "Abide with Me" from Indelible and "Jesus the Name High Over All" from Kingsway (Shaun Groves) didn't make your top list. Good list though. We're enjoying most of those you mentioned at Parkview.

Oh yeah, we've also liked Lincoln Brewster's guitar arrangement of "Great is Thy Faithfulness". If you've got a good electric guitar at the helm, this can be a cool arrangement.

Vitamin Z said...

Scooter,

The main reason I didn't add those great arrangement is that I can't get iTunes or Amazon links for those tunes. Great songs for sure.

z