Wednesday, August 27, 2008

She's happily married, dreaming of divorce


I can't begin to describe how sad this article makes me feel. The fact that this is from Oprah.com/CNN.com should not be minimized. Oprah's influence is paramount in many circles of our culture. May the church rise up with the gospel that causes us to crush our own selfishness and show a much brighter picture of marital happiness and sacrifice. There is much to say about this article by way of diagnosis, but I'll leave that to you. Here is a choice excerpt:

To be sure, there will be throngs of angry women who will decry me for plunging a stake into the heart of holy matrimony. "My husband is my lifeline," I've heard said (and that's bad news for the aorta). "My husband and I never fight" is another marital chestnut -- again, bad news (not to mention a big fat lie), since according to the experts, the strongest relationships are the ones in which people can continually agree to disagree. "My husband is my best friend," others will aver.

No. Your husband is not your best friend. Your best friend is your best friend. If your husband were your best friend, what would that make your best friend -- the dog? When a woman tells me that her husband is her best friend, what I hear is: I don't really have any friends.

But if self-delusion is your particular poison, well, then that's fine too. Just make sure that when you phone your life-order in, you say, "One self-delusion, please," as opposed to "One perfect marriage." Fantasy, as we all know, doesn't deliver.

Because in the end, that's basically what it's all about: getting your order right. Our day comes down to choices -- and it's finally dawning on the long-term wives of the world that divorce may be the last-standing woman's right to choose. We can admit that our marriages aren't lambent, lyrical ice-dancing routines and still decide to push on together to the final flying sit spin. We also realize that divorce is an alternative that's fully within reach, be it now or later or never. The more readily we acknowledge the solid utility of marriage (as one friend's husband put it, "I'm essentially a checkbook and a sperm bank -- but I'm okay with that!"), the more ably we can splinter the box of marital fantasy that makes us feel stuck, trapped, obliged. One eloquent swing of the ax and happiness is thrust firmly back into our own hands.

7 comments:

Shadley said...

yikes. i guess i don't have any friends then and that my happy marriage is a hoax. dang, i thought it was working.

Anonymous said...

Wow... I'm virtually speechless (for once in my life on this blog!).

What a sad, cavalier, reductionist view of marriage... may God turn this poor woman's heart of stone to one of flesh, as He mercifully did for mine!

Anonymous said...

I too am speechless...that is one of the saddest things I've ever read. Pragmatism on steroids.

greg ferreri

Jason Kanz said...

I was gonna say speechless, but I guess I was beat to it. I guess my wife and I are just gonna have to go out and make some different friends and cease being each other's friends. Oh yeah, apparently we need to fight more.

Cynic.

Anonymous said...

Oh man, for 34 years I've had the wrong best friend, the wrong ideas about faithfulness, and the audacity to not fight with my husband.

I hate when that happens.

Joanna said...

wow, that is so very sad

Ve said...

So does she apply these same principles to the rest of life? Should the pedophiles and sex traffickers of the world also be free to pursue their individual choice and happiness? What do her children think of their parents' marriage? If she is childless, who is going to care for her when she is an elderly widow? Hopefully it will be someone who has a better grasp of reality.