Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Biden's Blunder

Greg Koukl has a great post here called, "Biden's Blunder". He writes concerning the logic of Biden's stance that he is personally opposed to abortion but won't impose this view on others because it's a matter of faith:
But if Biden actually believes abortion truly takes the life of an innocent human being before birth in a way that is not morally distinct from killing a newborn immediately after birth, why would he not vote against such a thing? Would it make any sense to say that as a matter of religious conviction I believe that all men are endowed with inalienable rights, but I could never impose such a personal belief on slave owners?
Greg continues:

I once had a discussion with a man who offered this nonsense to me at a conference. He said he was personally opposed to abortion, but didn’t think it was right to force his views on others. I asked him the question I always pose when I encounter such a feeble notion: “Why are you personally against abortion?”

He responded with the answer I always get. “I believe abortion kills a baby,” he said, “That is why I am against it. But that’s just my own personal view.”

“Let me see if I understand you,” I said. “You are convinced abortion kills an innocent child, yet you think the law should allow women to do that to their own babies. Did I get that right?”

He objected to my wording, but when I asked him what part of his view I misunderstood, he was silent. I hadn’t misunderstood it. That was his view.

The logic of the modified pro-choice position reduces to, “I think it’s wrong to kill my own children, but I don’t think we should stop other people from killing theirs.”

Notice that this critique has nothing to do with whether abortion is right or wrong. That’s a different question. I am simply pointing out that the modified pro-choice view deals itself a fatal blow. That is Biden’s blunder, and the blunder of anyone else advancing such a foolish notion.

4 comments:

John C said...

So let's move this conversation ahead a bit . . . let's say that abortion was no longer an issue. Roe vs. Wade had been over turned . . . it is now illegal to have an abortion in the US. Everyone on our side is happy. It has been decreed that abortion never will once again be a political issue, so the election of the president with regards to abortion is no longer pertinent. Abortion is dead. Period. Taking all that off the table, then WHO would you vote for at this present stage? Why?

Anonymous said...

See my previous comment on people so desperately wanting to vote for Obama that they'll jump through any mental hoops they can to rationalize that decision.

Oh, and overturning Roe v. Wade does not make abortion illegal.

Vitamin Z said...

I have no idea. I don't pay attention to politics other than abortion. I vote on one issue. If abortion goes away I'll have to educate myself more I guess. I have no hope on politics to change anything in this country. It was cool to have the Bush admin send me a check for $1500 this year...

:)

Josh said...

the sife is right, overturning Roe v. Wade does not make abortion illegal any more than Roe v. Wade made abortion legal in the first place.