Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Wisdom For Those Growing Older (Which is You Unless You Are Dead)

Ray Ortlund:
Last week, to my astonishment, I turned 59. Sure, I'd rather still be 19. But here are five reasons why turning 59 is not a crisis.

1. I have a Friend, an Expert in all things surprising and delightful, who is preparing an eternal place for me. For you too. But no less for me. I'm not going to step into heaven, look around and think, "Well, okay. I can get used to this." No, I'm going to step into heaven and say, "He thought of me. He prepared it for me." And every day that gets closer.

2. The world tells me that, if I really want to feel alive, I've got to be young, fit, tanned, rich, handsome and sexually active. But I see young, fit, tanned, rich, handsome and sexually active guys who are more dead than alive. Christ is all the life I want. Any other "life" is no life to me. And the life his grace gives is only going to get better forever.

3. I cannot lose those I most love. Whatever may happen to us in time, we will someday be caught up together in the clouds to meet the Lord. And so we will always be with the Lord -- together, never to be separated again. And we won't bug each other at all, ever.

4. My labor in the Lord is not in vain. My deeds will follow me. God sees, he will not forget, and he knows how to say thank you. Every year is more fruitful labor in the Lord. It will be worth it all.

5. Aging is humbling. That's good. God is opposed to the proud but gives grace to the humble. I don't want God for my opponent; I want him to be my giver. So the humbling experience of looking into the mirror and wondering who that old guy is -- it can only prepare the way for greater blessing right here, right now.

Bring it on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is an *incredible* blog entry from Ray Ortlund, which, at the age of 35, already hits home with me. (I'm not "old" yet, but I'm definitely not a kid either!)

However, I just went to Ray's blog, and he seems to have removed this particular post. I wonder why? It is so true, moving, and helpful!