Monday, October 20, 2008

Evangelism Without Proclamation?

There is a tendency in some quarters today to promote a kind of evangelism without proclamation. Acts of service are done or people are invited to experience Christian worship. But without words of explanation these are like signposts pointing nowhere or, worse still, signposts pointing to our good works. The gospel is good news - a message to be proclaimed, a truth to be taught, a word to be spoken, and a story to be told.

- Tim Chester and Steve Timmis, Total Church, p. 54

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This excerpt (from a book that I increasingly want to buy!) reminds me of one of the most theologically *unsound* quotes that I continually hear cited by many Christians (and at one time in my like, I confess, cited by me, sadly!):

"Preach the Gospel at all times, and if necessary, use words." (St. Francis of Assisi)

The problem with this quote is that you can't actually proclaim the Gospel *without* using words which *tell the Gospel* to someone. Now, you can *show the effects* of the Gospel in your life by your actions, but it is impossible to proclaim the Gospel without *words* which tell the Gospel.