Sunday, October 26, 2008

NBA Boot Camp

Those of you who are not basketball fans will probably not find this interesting, but since I am a huge basketball fan I found it very interesting. Chris Ballard, an NBA sports writer for Sports Illustrated spends four grueling days at NBA boot camp in Florida and chronicles the whole experience.

As a guy about his age still trying to relive the high school dreams on Saturday mornings with my crotchety thirtysomething buddies, it was a very interesting read.

From the story intro:

Going in, I had a vague idea of what to expect. Long ago, in what now seems like a former life, I played high-school ball and a year in college. I recall running -- lots and lots of it -- and endless loops of ball handling exercises, 2-on-1 breaks and weave drills. So I was prepared for the conditioning aspect of IMG. What I was unprepared for was the exquisite attention to detail, the focus not just on improvement but on mastery.

Of course, that's better-suited to NBA clients. For our group, the stated goal was to better understand the game. The unstated goal was that none of us -- mostly in our mid-30s, universally unaccustomed to two-a-days -- leave on a stretcher. Both goals, I can happily report, were accomplished.

No comments: