Monday, November 10, 2008

Amazon Prime

Justin Taylor:
Here's a program I didn't know about until recently: AmazonPrime. I'm still on the free one-month trial, but I think I'll stick with it, as it's a great deal.

For $79 a year (about $1.50 a week) you get unlimited free two-day shipping, and you can upgrade to one-day shipping for $3.99. There's no minimum order size.

The nice thing is that a company or church could have one account, which would make the $79 almost negligible. But even for individuals, I still think it's a really good deal.
Our staff has this at our church and it has been a huge blessing. I can't imagine how much money we have saved on shipping.

3 comments:

John C said...

ya - more often than not I've noticed that even when you select 2 day shipping, they'll send it in one day n/c. I think there is something however that there's technically supposed to only be 2 household people per account using it. So while no one may notice, your church may be in the wrong using it as an entire group. Not sure. Read the fine print I guess. Best be safe before touting the idea to other churches.

Anonymous said...

I actually interviewed for a job working on this program with Amazon, but it ended up involving a move to Seattle, which was out of the question.

I believe they have plans to expand this program to include all kinds of other goodies for the subscribers!

John C said...

Not a big deal, and I posted this on Justin's blog as well, but I did read in Amazon's terms for the Prime membership:

"If you purchase a Prime membership, you may also invite up to four eligible family members living in your household (at the same address) to register for Prime membership at no extra cost."

While I didn't read every single bit of fine print, I can't find anywhere where it says you CAN'T use a church account for everyone on staff to use the prime membership. However I have a feeling as it's implied above that it's supposed to be for household/family use limited to 4. Not a big deal, but maybe not something you want to be touting to churches as an idea if it's not really what Amazon has in mind.

Curious about the job interview you mentioned - tell me more? Sounds fascinating.