Friday, November 21, 2008

Preaching to the Basketball Team at UNM


Last night I had the privilege of giving the pre-game devotional to the University of New Mexico men's basketball team. I have some connections with their head coach, Steve Alford, since he attended the church where I worked in Iowa City for 5 years when he was the coach at the University of Iowa. It was good to see him again and chat for a bit. He is a Christian and encourages his players to attend the "chapel service" that he offers them before the pregame meal. They all attended and were very attentive.

Since these guys are all Division I stud athletes, they all thrive on competition. I wanted to show them a story of Biblical competition, so I gave them a quick message from 1 Kings 18 concerning the showdown between Elijah and the prophets of Baal. I called them to identify their idols and destroy them and turn to the true and living God, revealed by the life and work of Jesus Christ. I told them that chasing idols (sex, money, status) is like a dog chasing it's tail. You just end up worn out and unsatisfied.

Reflections:

1. I had never preached to what I assume to be so many unbelievers at one time. They were all very attentive and seemed eager to listen. What a blessing to be able to communicate the gospel to these guys.

2. I am old. It seems like just yesterday I was engaged in competitive basketball and hoping to play in college (God had other plans obviously). Most of these guys were almost 15 years younger than me. 

3. Those dude were BIG.  I am a tall guy at 6'3" and I felt like a hobbit.  I don't think I have been around so many big guys in one room before .  

4. It's cool to see coach Alford's influence on these guys through stuff like this. They don't have to attend, but everyone of them was there.   They all came up and introduced themselves to me after I was done.  

5.  I got to go to the game and they completely destroyed Grambling State. It was ugly.  They were up by about 40 at halftime.  Must have been something I said...

Go Lobos!!!


3 comments:

Jerry said...

Now if you could do something for the Lobo football squad....

Shadley said...

it's not so bad being a hobbit...

Los said...

Their regular Chaplin must be an amazing guy to do that game in and game out... ;)

Thanks brother for doing that!!!!