Tuesday, December 02, 2008

How Long O Lord?


For my last seminary class I am taking Job with Dr. Greg Perry at Covenant Theological Seminary. Our first assignment is to interact with D.A. Carson's "How Long O Lord: Reflections on Suffering and Evil". I have read this once already, but as I read through it again I am reminded of what a gift this book is to any believer. This book should be in your stack of books you read once a year. In the coming days I'll be posting excerpts that I find valuable to pass along.

This quote from the preface stood out to me as a great reason for all of us to read this book (or to read my posts):
"Primarily, this is a book of preventative medicine. One of the major causes of devastating grief and confusion among Christians is that our expectations are false. We do not give the subject of evil and suffering the thought it deserves until we ourselves are confronted with tragedy. If by that point our beliefs - not well thought out but deeply ingrained - are largely out of step with the God who has disclosed himself in the bible and supremely in Jesus, then the pain from the personal tragedy may be multiplied many times over as we begin to question the very foundations of our faith."
You can find this book here.

1 comment:

Noah said...

I agree, I read this book along with a few others on the subject, and this book stood head and sholders above the others. Very challenging and informative.