Monday, December 15, 2008

Reflections on Our Adoption - Part 2


One of the most refreshing things I have observed in our adoption is the complete acceptance of Mya by our other kids. They didn't hesitate, they didn't ask questions and they are not at all concerned about the fact that her skin is a different color than theirs.

I was a bit concerned though when about five minutes after we arrived home with Mya my 4-year-old daughter Autumn, asked us, "So....... Emery (our 18-month-old) and Mya are twins, right?"

Uh... No.

We got a good laugh out of that one.

Kids don't carry cultural baggage that most adults carry around with them. This is surely a blessing and I am once again reminded that we can often learn many important lessons from our children.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're right. Children teach us so much. You inspired me to post this former post on my blog as the truth continues to amaze me.

http://life2gether.wordpress.com/2008/12/15/what-our-children-must-teach-us/

Anonymous said...

I had a poster in the 60's that showed two blind kids, about Autumns age, hugging. One was black and one was white. The caption was "Blind is also color blind." Kids are simply gifted with color blindness.
Maren

Anonymous said...

Kids don't notice if their family doesn't. I was raised in a household where race was a factor (a bad one) and where it was brought up a lot. In our family now, people are people and are not described according to skin color or race. It helps that I'm in a interracial marriage;) but my kids are totally accepting of anyone, any kind, any status and I love that.

Tree Newt said...

Awesome. Simply awesome. We can learn a lot from our kids, no?