Friday, December 05, 2008

Encouragement for Transracial Adoption Anxiety


Ever since we verbally accepted Mya about 3 weeks ago my wife and I have been pondering what it could mean to be a black child in a white family. Many people have much to say about this and I won't go into all of that discussion here other than to say it has been a source of a bit of anxiety for us in recent days.

This video featuring Tony Evans from the I Am Second campaign was a gift from God to me this morning. These videos are short, but extremely well done. In addition, Dr. Evans is an profoundly gifted communicator and his message here about the gospel and race was a huge encouragement in light of our transracial adoption. If Mya grows to believe this message I think we'll be ok. Watch this video. It will bless you.

Also, the video from Josh Hamilton is very good as well.


(HT: Jason Kovacs)

1 comment:

Christine Short said...

Hey, thanks for posting this! We are also starting the adoption process and our new daughter will be from Ethiopia. Our family is much like yours as we all have blond hair and blue eyes. We too have questioned how we will raise a child of a different race but it was clearly where the Lord led us. I can fill you in on those details if you really want at some other time. In the last couple years I've come to understand the same thing this man did. I am second. I never thought of using that in helping my daughter live in this world though. I'm constantly amazed at how God is working in putting together a village of people with resources who will help me raise her. And we don't even have her yet! Truly amazing!