Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Calvin's Institutes in 2009

So I am jumping on the "read Calvin's Institutes in 2009" bandwagon. Here is the reading plan that I am following.

This quote from today's reading stood out to me as significant:
Besides, this mind (the Christian mind) restrains itself from sinning, not out of dread of punishment alone; but, because it loves and reveres God as Father, it worships and adores him as Lord. Even if there were no hell, it would still shudder at offending him alone.

Here indeed is a pure and real religion: faith so joined with an earnest fear of God that this fear also embraces willing reverence, and carries with it such legitimate worship as is prescribed in the law. And we ought to note this fact even more diligently: all men have a vague general veneration for God, but very few really reverence him; and wherever there is great ostentation in ceremonies, sincerity of heart is rare indeed.
- John Calvin, The Institutes of the Christian Religion, 1.2.2 (p. 45 in McNeil)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, glad you are doing this too. Last time I read through Institutes was years ago, and I am pretty sure I didn't get a whole lot out of it. Not because it's lacking in content, but because I am not very smart. :)