Wednesday, January 14, 2009

iPhones Have Consequences


Recently I was talking to my wife about getting an iPhone. Many of my friends have them. They are sooooooooo cool.

I. Must. Have. One.

Thankfully, wife was not convinced. Imagine this... Maybe I should be content with what I have (Crackberry). I know... It's radical. It's potentially mature and unkindergarten like. I think Jesus said something about an abundance of possessions once.

Anyway, check out this article from First Things: iPhones Have Consequences.

My friend Owen
, (ironically, who I have never met, other than on blogs and email) writes concerning this article:
The piece is a thunder-clap in a room humming with digital sounds. Read the whole thing and process its insights. The new technology offers us incredible resources, yes, but it also threatens to draw us into a world of our own making that revolves around insubstantial versions of ourselves.

5 comments:

Scott said...

This was well timed. I also have been tempted by the iphone.

Anonymous said...

I'm reading your blog from my iPhone :).

Matt Redmond said...

Pretty soon, we will most likely all have something far more desirable and helpful than even the iPhone and all our hand-wringing will be looked back on as oh so passe'. And all the while, our hearts so shot through with sin will still be beating.

brianmetz said...

I am so with you on this post. I have had to publicly renounce my sin of envy and covetousness to the students in our youth group. My wife tells me the same thing, that I need to be content. AND all I keep thinking is that I would so use it for good. I read the article and realized that I am a person that the article is speaking of... OUCH!

Seth Ward said...

I have been tempted and I have tasted... and it is good.

Seriously though, I had a friend over the other night and he had a blackberry and then switched to the iphone. He said it took him 1 week and he was back to the blackberry. I've actually heard this from a few other blackberry guys. I think that blackberry guys are really the only people known to go to the iphone and then come back to blackberry. Sooo, all that to say, you probably would be wanting your blackberry back anywho.