Monday, February 09, 2009

Evil Wal-Mart

Andrew Faris:
You've probably heard all the same stuff about how Wal-Mart is an evil mega-oppressor of the working poor that I have. I've been skeptical of that attitude for awhile because it always seemed like people were mad at them for succeeding as a business, but don't want to turn a blind eye to oppression.

Well Charles Platt went undercover as a Wal-Mart employee to try to figure out what the problem is, and his article about that experience is well worth a look. He comes out quite favorable to the retail giant, and it is one of the most interesting pieces I've read in awhile.

1 comment:

John C said...

Fascinating. Just goes to show you can't believe everything that's out there written or said about anything until you've checked it out first hand in person behind the scenes close up. (An interesting comparison could be made there of all that is written and blogged about seeker type/mega churches - well, some of them anyway. I know not all.) It also goes to show that any company, even a church, can be maligned by the most disgruntled of employees. I always did wonder why most everyone I find working at Wal Mart - even the night stocking crews that I see quite often - seem to be very satisfied and happy working there. I'll make no secret of it that my dream for my days of old age is to be a Wal Mart greeter. Those guys are my heroes.