Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Spiritual Alzheimer's - Part 2

Yesterday I wrote about the fact that most of us have a memory problem. Call it spiritual Alzheimer's disease if you want. If I forget what God has done in my past, how can I expect to be full of faith for the future?

What do I mean? Real practically... Imagine....

What would happen if we forget (or failed to meditate on the fact) that Christ died for our sins?
  • Death looks really scary as I face God with no hope
  • Evangelism has no point
  • I have no assurance of forgiveness (etc.)
What would happen if we forgot (or failed to meditate on the fact that) that Jesus said he will return to one day make all things right?
  • We would be crushed by the current weight of evil in our world. Genocide, sex-trafficking, abortion, etc. You are left with a "life sucks and then you die" view of the world.
What would happen if we forgot (or failed to meditate on the fact that) the resurrection of Jesus was true?
  • Paul says that if Christ is not raised then you have no hope of being raised and you are still in your sins
  • Our churches are a joke and should be abandoned immediately
I have to admit that sometimes I am tempted to believe these bullet points above. So is not remembrance of the great truths of our faith completely essential to our sanity in the present as we move into the unknown future?

Here is the problem: We don’t remember as we should. I don’t mediate on what God has done in the past. My faith is crippled at times. But God knows this, and his words demonstrates this as he stoops to help us in our weakness. He continually exhorts us to REMEMBER.

Tomorrow we'll look at how he does this.

No comments: