Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Why I Am Happier Than Michael Jordan



Luke MacDonald:

Zone in on that last minute again, “I kept telling (them), I don’t know if I really want that call because I don’t want it to end. Every time I see these guys, I am ready to put my shorts on.”

Surely if any person should be able to walk away from any endeavor with their head held high knowing their all had given and the absolute apex reached, it is Michael Jordan He was the best. Beat every foe. Never disappointed. Never gave a half effort. Has millions of dollars, easy charm, good looks, and decades of life ahead of him, but MJ has sadly realized one thing: the best is over. He will never get to soar in front of thousands again. There will be no more dramatic game winners or Sports Illustrated cover stories.

If ever there was a guy who raised his head high enough above the crowd to feel satisfied it is Air Jordan. Yet, He himself seems to be coming to the realization that the thirst in his heart will never be quenched by accomplishment, sex, money, or fame.

Ecclesiastes 1.14

14I have seen everything that is done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a striving after wind.

Isaiah 55.2-3

2 Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread,
and your labor for that which does not satisfy?
Listen diligently to me, and eat what is good,
and delight yourselves in rich food.
3Incline your ear, and come to me;
hear, that your soul may live;

I am happier than Michael Jordan not because I have acquired more or done more (although in my day I did have quite a jump shot)- but rather I have the promise of heaven. No matter how sanctified I become or how much God works through “my” ministry my best days ARE ahead. The hope of heaven is that whatever happens in this lifetime is ‘merely a shadow’ of the glorious riches to come.

Live under the umbrella of freedom the hope of heaven provides today…

No comments: