Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Spiritual Alzheimers - Part 7

We have seen the importance of remembrance in the first six parts of this series. It's not just something important that we should do, but rather is commanded by God for our good. As Christians, we all are exhorted to remember the blessing of the cross and resurrection in our collective past some 2000 years ago.

But can we make a habit out of remembering what God has done in the past in each of our individual lives specifically? God has been infinitely gracious to us through the cross and resurrection in the same way. But he has also worked specifically and uniquely in all of our lives in different ways. These instances are also very worthy of remembrance.

A quick story:

When I worked as a full-time musician in Nashville, I owned a big Chevy Suburban to haul all my gear around that we would need for our shows. This was part of our livelihood so having a good vehicle was very important. One day were were driving up to Iowa from Nashville for a weekend long worship gig and the Suburban completely broke down three hours outside of Nashville. The transmission was done. Game over. This was a huge problem, 1) we didn't know how we were going to get to our gig, and 2) I didn't have the $1500 that it would take to fix it. It wasn't like I had the money in savings and just didn't want to spend it. We flat out didn't have the money.

Long story short, we made it up to Iowa in a different vehicle, but the whole weekend I was completely stressed about the situation. Where were we going to get this money? As the conference was closing down, we were up front packing our gear and the father of one of my friends from Iowa came up to me said he had heard about our situation. He gave me a folded check, said goodbye, and walked away. When I opened it I was amazed to see it was written out for $1,000. I was blown away and thankful beyond words.

When we got back home to Nashville, a few days later we heard a knock on the door. When we opened it no one was there but there was an envelope that said "Jehovah Jirah, Our God Provides" on the outside. Inside was $500 cash. Combined with the $1,000, it was almost exactly what we needed to get the Suburban fixed.

By God’s grace, I don’t stress about money like I used to when I was younger. I have seen God provide in amazing ways. I need to make a habit of remembering these stories from my life! If I fail to do so, I dishonor the faithfulness of God in my life and cripple my ability to walk into the future with confidence in God.

What stories do you have? Remind yourself of these evidences of God’s grace in your life.

Let’s be a community that remembers to REMEMBER! Let’s challenge and remind each other to do it for God's glory and our joy, faith and endurance.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Zach, any way you can put all these in one document once complete?

Vitamin Z said...

Brian,

Thanks for asking. Here would be a link for it. Start at the bottom.

http://takeyourvitaminz.blogspot.com/search?q=spiritual+alzheimers


If you want to hear this message preached you can do so here:

http://takeyourvitaminz.blogspot.com/2009/04/looking-back-for-sake-of-future.html