Saturday, May 23, 2009

Why I Am Thankful for Mark Driscoll

Mark Driscoll is in Albuquerque this weekend. Last night there was a Q and A time for some local church pastors. It was a great. Mark always gives insightful responses to a wide variety of questions. One of the first questions had to do with training up men. Most people know that Mark is known for his strong push for men to act like Biblical men. Sometimes I feel that this crosses the line and could give people the impression that he believes a real man has to be a fist pounding, beer drinking, UFC loving, likes to fight kind of guy. I know this is not Mark's intention, (which he explicitly stated last night) but I fear that it could be heard that way by some.

But... I know why Mark stresses these things with such intensity and I completely agree that it is a huge need in our Christian culture. As he says, "You get the men, you win the war". I know this is true and I am thankful for Mark leading so many broken men in Seattle and beyond into loving their wives well, loving and teaching their kids well, and stepping up to lead in the church well.

About half the time when Mark is talking I sort of feel like he wants to kick my butt, but what I found to be really encouraging was that when I got home I genuinely felt a renewed sense of deep desire to love my family, to protect them and care for them and to teach them with humility and grace.

Mark is having a positive impact on this guy. I know it's happening in many other men's lives as well. I am thankful for Mark Driscoll.

2 comments:

Eric J. Hansen (Spot) said...

bro, are there mp3's for Mark's messages in ABQ?

Vitamin Z said...

Not sure yet, but if there are I will post them. I'll ask.

z