Sunday, June 21, 2009

Had A Great Gig With A Unique Experience

Last Thursday I had one of the best experiences yet playing jazz. It was at Scalo where they have a real piano (it's not that great, but almost any piano is better than playing a keyboard) and it's a great vibe for a jazz gig. I also was joined by two of Albuquerque's finest players, Colin Deuble on bass and Arnoldo Acosta on drums. I felt great and our three sets went by really fast which is always a sign that you are having a good time.

Something a bit unique happened during the second and third set. Some people got up and started dancing. Usually when this happens at a gig, it's a person who is drunk out of their mind and making a fool of themselves, but these folks were different. When they started, I thought it was just the usual, so I didn't pay much attention, but after a bit it was clear that these guys really knew what they were doing, like straight off the set of Dancing with the Stars kind of moves. It got to the point where people in the restaurant were watching them and actually applauding them. This didn't bother me, as it actually helped our trio bring our playing up to the next level so that these two couples could do their thing.

It was a really fun night. Below are some tracks you can download if you are a jazz fan. I thought they turned out pretty well.

Now's The Time (I think this one was our best performance over all, but they all had their moments)
Beautiful Love
Stella By Starlight
Nostalgia in Times Square
Fee Fi Fo Fum
The Old Country

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Very nice Zach. We did not end up going cause we were trying to pack up to leave for the weekend the next morn. These MP3s are really cool. I wish I could've been there to watch the impromptu dance. When are you playing there again?

Vitamin Z said...

Kelly,

July 25th. It's a Sat night. 8:30-11:30

z