Monday, July 06, 2009

You Don't Want To Play This Guy In H.O.R.S.E.

Owen Strachan:
I don’t care if you like basketball or not–you must watch this YouTube clip.

The video features Bruce Manley, a 25-year-old bank employee from Sparta, NJ. A SlamOnline article explains a bit about the backstory. Apparently, Shaquille saw the video and twittered a H.O.R.S.E. challenge to Manley.

Here’s what Manley says of his shotmaking:

“Some of the shots take a little while,” Manley says. “If I shoot it behind the back from the other foul line, I’m still confident that in one or two, maybe three tries, I’ll hit the rim. I try and put it in that general area, and obviously, it’s got to get a tiny bit lucky but it’s definitely more skill than luck. The last shot over the wall, that everyone’s claiming is fake, I made on the 14th try.”

Here’s what Manley says about playing Shaq:

“For what it’s worth, Manley is confident that he can take Shaq in H.O.R.S.E., as long as there are two rules.

“One, no dunks and to make it fair, I won’t shoot foul shots,” he says. “I hope Shaq isn’t offended by that comment.”

************************

This is serious trick-shot-making. I’ve never seen anything that approaches Manley’s ability to sink difficult shots. This is a unique athleticism, one that very few people have in even limited form. It’s fun to see stuff like this once in a while–reminds you of the God-given power of human ingenuity and skill.

1 comment:

Becky Bartlett said...

That is amazing! you'll have to post the HORSE thing with Shaq if you see it come around later this month so we can see how that turns out!