Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Speak Less to Your Kids and More to God

Guest post by Doug Wolter

Paul Miller, in his excellent book, A Praying Life, gives some great advice to parents here:

It took me seventeen years to realize I couldn't parent on my own. It was not a great spiritual insight, just a realistic observation. If I didn't pray deliberately and reflectively for members of my family by name every morning, they'd kill one another. I was incapable of getting inside their hearts. I was desperate. But even more I couldn't change my self-confident heart.

It didn't take me long to realize I did my best parenting by prayer. I began to speak less to the kids and more to God. It was actually quite relaxing.

1 comment:

Greg Breazeale said...

I love A Praying Life! It has opened my eyes to what prayer really is and taken the weight off my shoulders in many ways when it comes to prayer.


GB