Tuesday, September 01, 2009

For Those Christians Who Live In The Age of Information

Amos 3:2 -
You only have I known
of all the families of the earth;
therefore I will punish you
for all your iniquities.

Matt. 7:1-2 -
Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you.

Luke 12:48 -
But the one who did not know, and did what deserved a beating, will receive a light beating. Everyone to whom much was given, of him much will be required, and from him to whom they entrusted much, they will demand the more.
At the end of Wright's book he has a section on the final judgment. I read this quote today and it served to be a powerful reminder.
It will be just, because the Bible makes it clear that with greater opportunity comes greater responsibility (e.g., Amos 3:2, Matt. 7:1-2, Luke 12:48). So those of us who know that God has blessed us with unbounded opportunities - in our knowledge of the Bible and all the resources available to us - need to remember this sobering fact. What have we done with what we received?
- Dr. Christopher Wright, The God I Don't Understand, p. 189

As I sit here in my office and observe the two huge book shelves on the wall behind me, and as I type on a computer that is just one click away from more information than I could ever possibility consume in a hundred lifetimes, I pray that God would give me the energy, will, and resolve to use what I have been given to the best of my ability for his glory. We certainly will be held to a higher standard.

2 comments:

Christopher Lake said...

Zach, a question, out of curiosity-- do you think that writing and/or reading blogs ever actually gets in the way of your relationship with God? I am pondering this question in relation to my own life.

Vitamin Z said...

Perhaps, but just like anything else, we need to always be on guard and ready to lay down our idols that can so easily creep in.

z