Tuesday, October 06, 2009

The Church, Music, and Creativity



I interacted with this video a few weeks back.
I'll repost it here if you didn't read it before. I think these issues are very important to think through.
I greatly appreciate C.J.’s comments here. I know for a fact (in spite of what you might think from the quote above) that C.J. loves creativity. He leads a ministry that is one of the most prolific I know of in producing new and fresh songs for congregational use. This is a huge creative endeavor. But again, the focal point of their creativity is to draw attention to the content of the gospel.

I have been reflecting recently on the tension that most church musicians live in between creative innovation and congregational accessibility. I think we are called to both and should reflect on how we are doing in each area. Most church leaders err on one side or another. Too much innovation can lead to a focus on the art itself and potentially (not always) away from the cross. Too much accessible singing that is rote or exactly the same week after week can (but not always) lead to sterile and unreflective participation.

The question is not IF you are creative, but HOW? For what purpose?

I would submit that we need to promote creativity and gospel-centeredness in all that we do as it pertains to the church gathering. Our gatherings certainly should not be a showcase of our creative abilities, but also not divorced from them. The aim and goal of our creativity should be to draw people’s attention to the gospel. Can we do both well? I think we can, but it will take much intentionality and hard work. If we can, I think God will be glorified and our people will be well served.

No comments: