Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Perplexed About Prayer

Bob Thune:

Since the launch of Coram Deo, we’ve gathered every Wednesday night for an hour of communal prayer. And when I say “we,” I mean a dozen or two faithful people. The faces change from time to time, but rarely are there more than 15 people in the room.

This causes me great angst as a pastor. I want to see more people show up to pray. At the same time, I despise legalism. I refuse to bind people’s consciences. Showing up at Wednesday night prayer doesn’t merit God’s favor, nor does it necessarily indicate a healthy prayer life. People may come because they’re motivated by guilt or they want to look good to others. People may stay home and yet be deep and vibrant in prayer.

In calling people to corporate prayer, I have erred on both sides. I have given off shades of performance: “If you really love Jesus, you’ll come to prayer.” I have been apathetic and passive: “The Lord will bring whomever he wants.” Even now, I confess that I am mystified about the proper biblical approach to this subject. The parable of the persistent widow (Luke 18:1-8) and the radical promises of Jesus (John 15:7, 16) convince me that prayer matters more than we think it does. On the other hand, “performance praying” is a classic mark of a Pharisee (Matthew 6:5).

So here I am, gingerly stepping out in a blog post to address the matter. I will begin by airing some of my frustrations. I will end with personal narrative, explaining why corporate prayer is good for my soul. I’ll leave it to the Holy Spirit to do what he needs to do in your heart.

Read the rest of his helpful thoughts on this issue.

******************************************************************

I resonate with Bob's comments here. I have often wondered about these issues in a similar way in the past. A few days ago when I had the chance to preach I made a passing mention about the norm of prayer meetings being scarcely attended. I assume this has much to do with our culture increasingly being one of instant gratification and on the spot results. Also, we are addicted to our entertainment (TV, blogs, video games, internet, etc.) and sitting in a room for an hour with a few other folks sending praise, request, and confession "out there" can, in the flesh, seem WAY too boring.

I like to appeal to the blessing of obedience. I have to confess that when asked to attend the next prayer meeting my carnal reaction is usually one of hesitation or a sense of feeling inconvenienced. This is a sure sign of my lack of faith in God's word and all his promises for prayer. You would think after all these years I would get it. Sadly, at times, I don't. But without fail, after attending (sometimes begrudgingly) these prayer meetings I leave feeling an overwhelming sense of blessing. God's word is proved right and I am rewarded. You would think I would remember these blessings and look to the next prayer meeting with joy and anticipation, and I think I am growing in this area, but sanctification takes time my emotions are not yet completely there at all times. Yet, I still desire to have my mind fixated on the blessing of obedience. This have proved to be a great way to fight off sin and I find it is consistent with Biblical teaching as well.

1 comment:

Joe said...

Thak you for this post. I often struggle with this issue, particularly in the areas of prayer and fasting. I know the mandate to do it, and the rewards, and yet I struggle with my feelings and motivations.

I also want others to know the obedience and the blessings associated with both prayer and fasting, but seem to fail in attempting to persuade them to join me.

I want God to use me, and work in and thru me, but I think my self is too much involved in the process sometimes.

And saying it that way sounds weird too.