Tuesday, October 06, 2009

This Is Not Good

Kevin DeYoung interacts with Rob Bell's recent interview in the Boston Globe:
I want to think Rob's theology is better than what comes across in print. But the fact is that I never hear him in an interview (nor elsewhere for that matter) give an explanation of the gospel or a summary of the heart of Christianity that sounds anything like what we read from Peter, Paul, or Jesus. Rob is trying to help people. I bet he's a nice, sincere guy. I'm sure he faces demands and pressures that I can't imagine. But he keeps getting the most important questions wrong, and his theology keeps getting worse and worse.

I don't know how to say this without sounding really condescending, but we should pray that the Lord would give Rob a clearer sense of the gospel and a courage to share it with all the winsomeness, cultural relevance, forthrightness, and biblical fidelity that Paul displayed at the original Mars Hill in Acts 17. No matter the extremes he may have seen in some unhealthy backwards churches out there, there's no excuse for so frequently and so painfully botching the basic plotline of the Bible and ignoring the most important contours of the faith. With Rob's notoriety, he has no choice but to ignore most of what people say about him. But I hope that he is open to thoughtful criticism. Not from me, but from someone he trusts who can ask some hard questions prod him back to surer ground.

Please read the whole thing. I don't put Kevin the camp of your usual, angry, likes-to-fight, Christian blogger dude. His reflections should be considered.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

very enlightening. thanks for sharing.

it was good getting to hang at the conference. I hope your trip home was less eventful than it was getting to Nashville.

Andy P.