Tuesday, November 10, 2009

How Do We Discern Our Idols?

Doug Wolter:
Today a friend of mine graciously gave me a copy of Tim Keller’s book, Counterfeit Gods. Normally I don’t do this, but I was so intrigued with the title of the Epilogue (Finding and Replacing Your Idols) that I started reading there first. Keller poses one main question in this section, namely, “How do we discern our idols?” Here’s the outline of his very helpful and very challenging response:

1. Look at your imagination. What do you think about in the privacy of your heart?

2. Look at how you spend your money. Patterns of spending reveal idols.

3. Look at what you are really living for. What is your real–not professed–god?

4. Look at your most uncontrollable emotions. When you pull your emotions up by the roots, you will often find your idols clinging to them.

3 comments:

Greg Breazeale said...

I cant wait to get the book! I have been putting it off forever because I am trying to read so much right now. I must have it soon! Is that an idol?!

GB

Samantha Sophia said...

I had the opportunity to read this book last week and it was amazing. I recommended it to most of my college friends who are all in their twenties and fresh out of college and facing much of the idolatries that this book touched on.

Sarah Pulliam said...

Christianity Today posted an excerpt of his book here: http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2009/octoberweb-only/142-21.0.html

and an interview here: http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2009/november/1.71.html